Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Whole New Year!


Ok, so I didn't keep up with this like I planned to last year, but I am going to try my hardest to stick with it this year!

It's January, its freaking cold in Iowa! Why I stay here I have no idea. I have decided that I officially hate Winter. I have lived here all of my life and yes, I hate snow and I hate cold, but now I really hate this state at the moment.

On December 10th I fell outside my home and broke my ankle. They say that a majority of accidents happen at home and they aren't lying!
I had just walked my 2 daughters out to my grandma's car. They were going to go have a fun filled day with their "Nana".
Kaleb and I were going to go finish the Christmas shopping and exchange our Christmas tree that decided it didn't want to light on the bottom half (pre-lit).
Got the girls out to her car no problem......started the van so it was warming up for my little dude.
Came in, got the Christmas tree box, walked down the stairs, next thing I know, I feel and hear a snap! I SCREAMED!!! My grandma hadn't left yet, she was in her car getting ready to pull away. I tried my hardest to climb the stairs to get to my phone because me screaming "COME BACK" wasn't getting her attention.
Luckily my neighbor across the road from us was outside skinning his deer when he waved her down. He told her that I had fallen. By that time the "crazy lady" had heard me screaming and came over and was trying to calm me down. She ran back home and got her cell phone to call 911. No matter how hard I tried to get up the stairs I wasn't going to make it. My foot would literally pop when I would move. My poor son is in the house, luckily he had just been fed so he was ok. My girls were hysterical....they could hear their mommy screaming.
Anyway, she calls 911 and they have emergency personnel on the way. The ambulance gets there, starts asking me 10 million questions as I'm still bawling my head off from the pain. They scoop me up off the ground.........they put me in their ambulance, meanwhile we are waiting for the COUNTY ambulance to get there. That's right, I live in such a small freaking town that they have to have the county transport you unless you are practically dying!
I'm in their ambulance and I hear them call over the radio to the county EMS. I could hear their sirens going and everything. I said "Why are they using their sirens? I'm not dying." Their response, "Well its because you have fallen outside your home and its 15 degrees outside."
Um, ok, I wasn't outside at this point, but whatever.
They then transfer me to the county ambulance. Wouldn't you know, the WHOLE neighborhood is in my YARD! No lie! Everyone around here (not us) has a police scanner. They heard the number and came running.
We rent, so the landlords of course are saying, "If you need anything let us know." Haha, ok, yeah that is the least of my worries, I just broke my ankle walking on YOUR sidewalk!
I get to the hospital, have a jerk of a doc in the ER and they do the x-ray. Sure enough its broken. I knew that was coming, my poor husband wanted to be there, but no one from the site would bring him to the hospital and the hospital wouldn't let my mom leave. They had to wait for the surgeon to decide whether or not it required surgery! WHAT!? NO!!!!!!
Nope it didn't......LOL, thank goodness. Instead, I was put into a cast 2 days after the fall and was told to stay off my foot for 4 weeks! That's right, 3 kids, 4 weeks of no walking. Disaster right!?
4 weeks later I am in a walking boot and walking around again, its painful, but I'll live. I can spend time with my kids like I used to and not feel so helpless.

Tip: When you step outside your door, be VERY careful this Wintery season for you never know what might happen right outside your own door!

1 comment:

Super Ninja Mommy said...

ok, im sorry, but i have to laugh at your neghbor skinning his deer, and all the neighbors in your yard. thats great! lol

Glad your foot is healing up... now what will i make fun of you for????