So today was Katelinn's 2nd tube surgery. Along with getting tubes in her ears she had her adenoids taken out. I was all prepared for this since I've been through it with Kaleb twice and her once. I'm pretty much a pro at it. I was just praying that she didn't wake up screaming like Kaleb did.
Katelinn and I got there around 6 a.m. this morning. Paul didn't go because he needed to work. She missed him, but we did fine.
Her scheduled surgery time was 7:20. Usually they are on time. This morning they were a tad behind, but not a whole lot. Of course we had been there long enough for her, she wanted to go home because she felt better. I tried explaining to her that she was going to go to sleep for a few minutes and the doctor was going to fix her ears.
The anesthesiologist came to the room and got her. They said she walked right back to the OR, crawled on the table and went right to sleep without any troubles.
The procedure is generally a 20 minute procedure, but she had so much puss in her right ear that it took just a little bit longer. The adenoids were huge. Her tube in her left ear was falling out so they pulled it out and replaced that one.
The recovery was ROUGH.
She was having some trouble waking up from the anesthetic, which is completely normal. Some people wake up easily and others have trouble. She had more trouble this time around than I remember the first time she had this done. They wheeled her to me and I picked her up in her Princess blanket and cuddled her. She was out like a light. She slept for quite a while then I tried to wake her to drink. Their rule of thumb for adenoids is 3 oz of liquids before going home.
Of course we started with sips right away, no guzzling. Well, Katelinn's tummy didn't handle it well AT ALL. Next thing I know she's throwing up. I felt so bad for her, I'm sure her throat hurt. Of course since she got sick we had to start ALL over with the fluids. Time went on and she had been fine. We tried fluids again despite the lethargy. No luck.........she got sick again.
The nurse came in and was awesome about getting her cleaned up and getting her feeling better. She went and checked the orders and luckily the anesthesiologist had put an order in for some Zofran in case that happened. Watching my child get something other than IV Fluids was rather freaky. I'm used to ME getting that stuff, but not my children.
Katelinn woke up for a little bit and realized there was an IV in her arm, she wasn't pleased at all. She tried ripping it out, but I told her what it was for and she went back to sleep. She was so sleepy and it was so serene sitting there, quiet all around us and just me and her. It reminded me how much I miss her being a baby.
Anyway, time went on and she started drinking more and more. By 10:15 we were FINALLY released and able to go home.
We are at home and Katelinn is resting well. She laid down for a while and just relaxed then she wanted to get up and get dressed. She got dressed, but the anesthetic hasn't worn off completely so she had a little accident here and there. She just bawls when that happens, I tell her its ok and its not her fault.
She ate some chicken noodle soup and is laying back down now. I am hoping for a nap myself.......I'm exhausted.
Here are a few pictures of Katelinn before and after surgery:
Katelinn relaxing on mommy before her surgery......it was so fun to spend time with her alone again (hate that it was there though).
Katelinn just out of recovery, very tired little girl.
Katelinn woke up momentarily and was NOT pleased with this being in her hand........she did well with it though.
Katelinn snoring like crazy, she was out like a light.........such a cutie pie and it was so nice to cuddle.




No comments:
Post a Comment