Tuesday, January 27, 2009

RSV


RSV is HORRIBLE!

As I had posted a while back the kiddos were sick. We thought they were all better, but on Saturday night Kaleb took a turn. He was acting "different". On Sunday I called and talked to the pediatrician on call for their office. She said as long as he was peeing and eating fine not to worry.

Monday he was still acting odd so I decided to follow my mommy instinct and make an appointment. We got there at 2:30 our appointment was at 2:35. Now, this particular P.A. is SLOW. We are ALWAYS waiting on them to get us in and then we sit in a room forever. That was the case again this time! We were called back at 2:50 and he didn't walk in the room until 3:40! He comes in, looks at Kaleb, listens to his breathing and says, "He is wheezing, let me get the O2 monitor." When he said that I just had this feeling come over me that it was a good thing we had him in there.
He came back, hooked it up and sure enough his oxygen was jumping between 87 and 89%. They wanted to give him a breathing treatment and then go from there. So we gave him the treatment, let him get settled from that for about 10 minutes and then they came in and tested it again. It was still jumping from 87-89%. Sometimes it would get up to 90, but wouldn't stay there long.
The P.A. decides to go and talk to the doctor that is on call. She comes in, listens to him, counts his resps and said, "Let's admit him, hes still wheezing and his resps are too high."
Off to the hospital we went. They did the RSV nasal swab, blood work and a chest x-ray.
We got there at about 5 p.m. About 7 p.m. the nurse comes in and says "He's RSV Positive."
Guaranteed night in the hospital, no problem. The x-rays did confirm the swab results as well. So he got treatments every 4 hours and steroids.
By the time night came around he was happy, playing, flirting and acting more like himself. I was so happy to see him getting better. I just wanted my happy healthy boy back.
The doctor came in at 7 a.m. and checked him over and said he was doing MUCH better. They had a treatment scheduled for him at 8:30 and then anytime after that he could go home. I called Paul and he was getting ready to leave anyway.
We left the hospital at about 10:00 a.m. and had to go and fill his prescriptions before we could come home. He will be getting treatments every 4 hours for the first 48 hours and then as needed after that. He is also going to be on Orapred (steroids) for the next 4 days as he got a dose before we left the hospital.
Our baby boy is on his road to recovery. For those of you with small children PLEASE be VERY careful with them. RSV is a VERY contagious illness and don't play games. If your instinct says that something isn't right PLEASE act on it. NEVER second guess. I didn't and I am so glad that I didn't. I don't even want to think about what could have happened if he wouldn't have gone in yesterday.

No comments: