Thursday, September 16, 2010

Kaleb James is 2 Years Old!!

I can't believe I just typed that!  It's hard to believe that 2 years ago we were holding this newborn baby boy in our arms at a mere 6 lbs 5 oz.  Here we are 2 years later and he's a happy, bouncing, 42 pound baby boy!!

Saturday September 11th we celebrated Kaleb's birthday with all of our family and friends.  It turned out to be a beautiful day so we were able to have it outside as planned.  We grilled Hamburgers and Hot Dogs.  We had Pasta Salad, Potato Salad, Chips, and all sorts of things.  It was a nice party, except for some small drama, but we made the best of the day.

Kaleb had a blast!  He isn't the type to plow into the cake and make a huge mess....he HAS to be all calm and clean about it...I find this a little funny since he is a boy, but I shouldn't have expected it since the girls never did that either.  He got to open his presents after dinner as well and LOVES his new Cars scooter.  I realize he is only 2, but he will grow into it and he does have a helmet to wear with it. 

Not only were we celebrating Kaleb's birthday on Saturday the 11th, but we were also VERY glad to be celebrating my grandfather's 74th Birthday.  A birthday he never imagined seeing.  A birthday that NONE of us thought we'd be able to celebrate with him, but we did and it was FUN!  He too had a great birthday.

September 15th 2008 I had no idea what was going on.  I had been having pains in my belly for 4 days, but on this particular day they got more painful.  Of course because I'm stubborn and used to being told I had to go home anyway, I didn't want to go into the L&D.  However, come 3:30 p.m. that day it was getting a lot worse and I couldn't do ANYTHING through the pains.  I finally called.  Sure enough they say to go in.  I really didn't want to, but because I had called and they advised it I did.  My mom drove myself and the kids there.  I told Paul to stay at work because I've always been sent home before so I was prepared for that.  However, we were wrong.  As it turned out my contractions were 3 minutes apart and they were making me dilate.  I did walk around for an hour that evening per doctor's orders to make sure I was really in labor.  Mind you I didn't remember what labor was like on my own because I was induced with Hannah (she was 8 days late) and Katelinn was a scheduled c-section (4 days early).  I went back to the L&D floor and got back on the monitors after walking for about 45 minutes.  Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the doctor to come back in and check me and Paul calls and asks, "What do you need me to do?"  I explained what was going on and told him that he might as well have the guys bring him to the hospital.  At 7:15 the doctor walks in and not even 30 seconds later Paul walks in right behind her.  She checks me and says "Well, we're having that baby tonight!"  I was in complete shock.....I replied with, "No, you are supposed to send me home, I'm not ready to have this baby."  Obviously I didn't have much of a choice.  The doctor explained to me that I went from a 1 to a 3 in an hours time so if I were sent home Kaleb would be born there. 
At 8:26 p.m. via repeat c-section Kaleb James was born!!  Our first baby boy and the FIRST child to ever make his appearance BEFORE his scheduled date.  It was the easiest birth as far as pain goes and everything.  I could have done without the pain, but I wouldn't trade the experience for the world.  Kaleb James was born at 6 lbs 5 oz and 20 1/2 inches long. 

Today Kaleb is a happy, boisterous, bouncing 42 pound toddler.  That's right, I said 42 pounds!!  He's a very strong and solid child and we love him to death!!
For his birthday he had the whole day to mommy.  Daddy had to work and sisters were spending the day with their Nana and Papa.  I took him out to lunch and we went and bought some things that were needed for the house. 
For Kaleb's birthday dinner we had Mac n Cheese and Hot Dogs.  These are HIS favorite foods.  It was a yummy dinner and Kaleb absolutely LOVED it.  For cake I got cupcakes and he again, was a clean eater.  I actually took frosting and put it on his face LOL...I wanted a good "cake" picture.  He ate the whole thing and was ready for bed.  He had a wonderful birthday as far as we could tell.  We just can't believe Kaleb is 2 years old already.

So in closing, I hope everyone has a wonderful month of September.  Here are some pictures from Kaleb's party and his birthday dinner :-)



Hannah and Kaleb ready for the Iowa vs. Iowa State Game on 9/11/10








Kaleb with his new Cars pillow








Kaleb on his new Cars scooter







Katelinn and Kaleb all ready for the football game!



Kaleb James 2 years old 9/15/10










Kaleb eating his favorite foods for his birthday dinner...such a messy boy








Kaleb taking a bite out of his cupcake, he didn't want the frosting LOL

No comments: