As most of you know April 13th-16th Paul and I took our first trip together ever. We've been married 8 1/2 years and never went away on a honeymoon and since then have had 3 beautiful children who needed our constant attention. Thankfully we were able to take this trip together along with Paul's sister. The kids were well taken care of by my grandparents. So thankful for awesome grandparents. You have no idea.
We flew out of Chicago because tickets were A LOT cheaper. Even with tolls and 4 days of parking it was still cheaper. I saved over $700 total flying out of there and probably a good $550 after parking, gas and tolls altogether. Not bad right? That's a lot of money to just throw away. So anyway we flew out Friday morning the 13th at 11:30 in the morning. We got to NYC at 2:40. We waited for my Uncle to pick us up from the airport and to our surprise he had Ryder my 3 1/2 year old cousin with him. We haven't seen them since December 2010 at Christmas so it was awesome to see them.
When we got to our Uncle and Aunt's place we sat down and discussed what we were going to do and we decided to hit up Time Square a little bit. We had plenty of day left to burn and didn't want to sit still. So we headed to Time Square. The subway is confusing at first though, we got clear out to the Bronx before we realized we missed our train LOL. We ended up taking quite a while to get anywhere, but we finally reached Times Square safe and sound. We went to eat at Hard Rock Cafe for supper and it was good food. Can't go to a big city and not eat at Hard Rock, that's just wrong ;-).
After spending a few hours there we decided to head back and get some rest so we could hit up more things Saturday. So....we waited for what seemed like forever to catch our second subway train so we walked up to the street and grabbed a cab. Man was a jerk and was mad because we didn't give him like a $20 tip or something. We made it safely back to the apartment. We crashed pretty hard.
Saturday we headed to Times Square. We got something to eat then headed to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. One of the BIGGEST things I wanted to do while in NYC as I've been to the one in Las Vegas. My dream is to see all of them. We went into it and took many pictures. I got several pictures with many of my favorite people and some funny pics as well. I don't care what anyone else thinks of Robert Pattinson, he's one of my favorite actors so deal with it. LOL.
After visiting Madame Tussaud's we continued walking....I'm not sure where all we went, but went a lot of places. Oh yes, we went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Discovery Museum, but we were VERY disappointed as NOTHING was authentic and it was not what we expected it to be.
We saw the Naked Cowboy, Elmo, Spongebob, and several other "characters" on the street. We headed to eat supper and ended up at Planet Hollywood and boy am I glad we did. They have several actors/actresses outfits, handprints, and what nots. I was in heaven! Literally pure heaven because we sat right next to the tux and dress that Robert Pattinson (Edward) and Kristen Stewart (Bella) wore in Twilight. I'm a Twilight freak so this was very exciting to me. There were several other masks, costumes, props and things in there as well. I got a picture of Bruce Willis' handprints, Will Smith's handprints, Wicked Witch from Wizard of Oz movie's costume, masks from several horror movies and also Beetlejuice. Pretty neat stuff!
After walking more of Times Square after eating we headed back to Aunt and Uncle's place as our feet were starting to bother us and it was getting pretty late. We got back there and it didn't take me long to crash at all. I was out before 11 p.m. NYC time. I was snoring apparently, they were nice enough to record me snoring. (not funny either by the way!).
On Sunday we went to Rockefeller Center, 9/11 Memorial, and Central Park. The 9/11 Memorial was a tear jerker. Definitely makes you sit back and remember that fateful day. When we visited NYC back in August of 2004 it was only rubble. This time it has the pools from the North Tower and the South Tower with the names of the people who died in the towers and those who died while cleaning the rubble etc. It was beautiful and sadly the museum wasn't open yet, but hopefully we can back before too long and be able to go in there. That would be interesting to see. Right now the 9/11 Memorial is free, but I'm sure they will start charging soon. Hard telling though. It is by donation though which we did donate between the 3 of us.
We got to eat a Gyro from a street vendor and it was THE BEST Gyro I'd ever had. I haven't had one in a while either and my mouth is watering thinking about it. YUMMY! We also grabbed a slice of pizza while we were out and about as well. Not what we expected, but it was still good. We had an awesome day Sunday, We just kind of roamed around all day and it was nice. We took a tour through Central Park on the bike carriage. We had a good time. Got to see the bridge used in Spiderman 3. The area where Maid in Manhattan was filmed, John Lennon Memorial, Boat House from 27 dresses, several areas from Friends the TV Show, and many many other things. SO COOL!
We had an awesome time in NYC and we definitely enjoyed going. I'm thankful we were able to stay at my Aunt and Uncle's place, that helped a ton and we had a great time visiting with them as well! Thank you both for your hospitality.
We did miss our kiddos quite a bit, but it did us a lot of good to get away. We needed that. Paul and I have been together 12 years in July and married 9 years in October. Never getting away can take its toll at some point and we were blessed to be able to go this time around.
We flew home on Monday the 16th. Unfortunately our flight was really bumpy there and back, but with my anxiety meds I didn't even care LOL. Normally I'd be flipping out, but nope, I slept the whole flight home and the whole ride home as well. We finally got home at 6 and went to get the kiddos and ate supper then came HOME HOME by 8. We were glad to be home, but we do miss NYC.
There is an album on my FB entitled NYC Trip that has TONS of pictures from our trip.
Until next time folks, have a good rest of April! Not too long from now the kiddos will be out of school for the summer and my baby brother will be a high school graduate. How that is possible I have NO idea!
No comments:
Post a Comment