Since I was a teenager playing softball my biggest idea of fun was continuing to play sports, graduate High School, Graduate College, get married, have children and a job that I enjoyed.
Sadly. In October of 2006 after going through many surgeries orthopedic wise I got news that changed my life forever.
You see, at age 17 I was dating a man who treated me like total crap. He didn't keep a job, drank like a fish and wasn't loyal. Then, I met Paul. Now, honestly I wrote off the jerk once I started spending time with Paul because his partying had become over the top, needed to get help, slept with anything that walked. Not me! Never in my life. ICK!
Anyway, Paul and I began dating in July 2000. Yes, 2000. We've been together for 13 years!
We went to prom together, he was by my side when my grandpa was ill,when my grandpa got his transplant, when I graduated High School and College.
3 years, 3 months later to the day we took our vows as man and wife. I know too many people who don't take their vows seriously and it's sickening, but I take mine seriously!
In 2005 we had our first. It was after she was born we found out what was wrong.
I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3. It's elasticity of the joints. My ligaments and tendons don't hold my joints in like a normal person. Physical Therapy, exercise etc makes it worse not better.
I ignored this. Continued doing things such as paintball, sledding, skiing, boating, you name it. Until 2010 when I needed a reconstruction surgery on my right knee. Little did I know I was going to take a turn for the worst.
I've got a cadaver hamstring holding my kneecap in place now. However, that won't last forever. Eventually my knee will need replaced. Every day I live in an amount of pain. Some days are good, others are not so good.
In August 2011 my mom found a doctor that specializes in EDS. My first visit with me I was very pleased. He understood the pain, he understood everything. He did make it very clear that I get one chance at a knee replacement. Once my knee is replaced and it goes out, I'm done. Permanently.
I'm 29 years old, I have three kids. I can't do much of anything. It tends to take a toll on ones body and mind. It keeps me from enjoying the things I used to. I hate it! Hate hate hate hate it.
I started applying for disability in 2004. I finally went through a lawyer and ended up with a hearing in March.
Exactly 10 days after my hearing I heard I've been approved. This was a great tribulation for me. It just aggravates me how hard those of us who need it have to fight but people who simply walks in, says they can't read or write and get it immediately. Makes me sick how many people cheat our government out of money. Their excuse is they need to get off their lazy asses and get a job. If they can mow yards, walk all over and lift things they can work.
Anyway, thanks to my awesome lawyer I no longer have to fight for proof of my EDS. It is real, it is painful and someday I will be completely debilitated from it. I will not be a normal person. Knowing any day your body could just give up on you is scary.
I've been blessed with a wonderful family, husband, children and friends. Thanks to my husband I've been able to take a trip to California in May with a friend. It's been a dream of mine to visit there, London and a few others before I can't travel anymore.
My biggest wish? That my children do not inherit this nasty thing and that they can live life wonderfully.
Ok, enough sappy crap. Time to feed the boy
No comments:
Post a Comment