Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Not Again :-(

So in light of the fact that the year 2009 is almost over I decided it was finally time to go in and be checked up on for my right knee.  If you remember back in June/July I had been going in because I hurt it (yet again) and have been having constant problems for quite sometime.  Well I was scheduled to go back in September, but with my hernia and all I put it aside.  I can't be taking care of 10 things at once.  The hernia being the most important of course.

So anyway, yesterday I went in and saw my knee doctor.  I got some not so good news.  The resident came in first....I could hardly understand a word he was saying which upset me, but I kept my cool.  Nothing irritates me more than a professional (such as a doctor more like) that you can't understand because he is either talking too fast or has such a heavy accent that he seems to be rambling.  Anyway, he came in, talked to me, examined me and then went back out.
About an hour after that (literally) the doctor came in with the resident.  They are talking and I'm not paying much attention because I've been given the run around by this doctor before trying to avoid surgeries and what not.  He says "Ok, we are going to do a shot of cortisone in the knee.....it should keep it numb long enough to get you through until your surgery."  My thought was "Surgery?! WHAT!?"  Then I recalled him saying something previously about arthroscopy so I didn't think much of it.  That is a simple surgery, no problem. 
So they come in with all the meds to shoot my knee....he hits my knee cap about 3 times before finally getting it UNDER the knee cap the 4th time.  Not the best feeling in the world let me tell you!  Its ridiculous.  Then I'm told "Follow this nurse to another room so they can do your pre-op questions and get you fitted for a brace."
So now I'm thinking, "Brace!? Since when do you wear a brace after an arthroscopy?"  So I answer her questions and we are sitting there and I finally said, "What kind of surgery are we talking about here, I thought we were doing something simple like an arthroscopy."  She says, "No, its much more than that, we are doing a Right Lateral Patella Femoral Ligament Reconstruction."  WHAT!? A reconstruction!?  Are you kidding me!? 

I went through a similar procedure back in November of 99.  It was the most painful knee surgery I had been through, but they swore I would be fine.  Obviously 10 years down the road that isn't the case.  If I have to go through this every 10 years I don't know what I will do, but at least this time around its being taken care of.  Unfortunately we can't get in until Jan. 27th.  6 weeks down the road, but it will give me plenty of time to enjoy the winter with my kiddos and with Paul since he will be laid off.

I won't know a time until the day prior to it, but I will let everyone that wants to know, know.  Things will be pretty hectic around here until then.  Paul is officially laid off on Monday.  That's right......4 days before Christmas (no shocker there) he is laid off for the winter.  The kids will love being able to spend time with daddy and HOPEFULLY we will get some traveling done before I have this surgery.  We are hoping to make a trip to Michigan and Wisconsin for sure.  I was hoping to go to Florida after taxes, but that doesn't look like it will happen :-(

Anyway, that is my update from that appointment and now I'm rambling.  If you made it this far thanks for reading!

No comments: