Friday, November 12, 2010

Our First Parent/Teacher Conference EVER!

Yesterday we had our first PT Conference ever.  I'm going to be honest, I was nervous yet I was extremely excited.  I couldn't wait to see how much she has improved since starting Preschool.  I know she's improved because her name writing has gotten 100% better, she adds numbers together and is just boisterous all the way around.  I love it.  Although I may get annoyed at her babbling all day long, it is so cute to hear how much she's learning.
When Hannah started and they evaluated what she knew for shapes, she did pretty well, the only problem they had was that she said triangle instead of square.  Now she knows ALL of her shapes and can draw them VERY well.  AWESOME right?  They quizzed her on what letters she recognized from the alphabet.  She only recognized 1 letter in September....now she can recognize all but 3....she has a hard time with G, J and Q.  Can't say I blame her, she is only 5 years old, but she does sit there and stare at those letters until she can figure them out.  She doesn't give up easily at all.
They asked her to draw a picture of her family in September as well.  You could tell the head and the facial features, but not much else.....now you can tell legs, arms, feet and hands along with the face and things on the face.  She's improving remarkably. 
The best news of all...........she has a friend at school that drew a peacock feather and underneath the drawing wrote "Peacock Feather."  Hannah asked the teachers to keep the paper by her because that's what she wanted to draw as well....she drew the feather and then looking at her friends paper (teachers permission of course) she wrote "Peacock Feather" without ANY help.  She could look at the letters and tell what they were enough to spell the words!!!!!!!!!
Our baby girl is growing up WAY too fast, but she's learning so well.  She has improved so much since starting in August.  She LOVES to add.  The other day she asked me what 5 and 5 make.  I told her to put 5 fingers up on one hand and 5 on the other and she counted them out and shouted, "5 and 5 makes 10 Mom!!" I have NEVER in my life been so proud.  She is asserting herself and doesn't give up. She's always ready to learn new things and her imagination is so awesome.  She comes up with the silliest things, but she's VERY serious about her stories and how she "raises" her children when playing house. 
We walked out of that PT conference with BIG smiles on our faces and our heads held high.  She loves school and we love that she loves it.  It has given her a lot of independence and a lot of security. 
We are SUPER proud of you Hannah Linn!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Geeeeze Amber you sound like a Mommy! Seems like she's doing great! Isn't it fun to see them learn and amazinghow fast they absorb it all! Ben too with all the words he can sound out and read now... I've come to the conclusion that I'm more thrilled than he - but that just because he has no idea what he's tapped into yet! You and =aul are good parents and both very smart - so you should have at least one little genious in your brood! Anyhow, way to go Hannah and have a blast learning!