Thursday, December 23, 2010

An Update To Many Things....

First of all I just want to say that I can't believe we are almost done with the year 2010.  It seems to have flown by so fast, but when looking back, a lot of things have happened in our lives.  Some good, some not so good.  One thing that I am EXTREMELY thankful for is my family.  If it wasn't for such a great family I don't know where I'd be today.  They help me when I am down, they are always there for me.  I also want to say that when I say family I don't mean JUST my immediate/extended family, I am talking about quite a few friends.  Melissa, Kim, Katie, Rose, Audrey and Stacey.  Thank you all SO much for being there for me and being my friend/sisters.........I don't know what I'd do without friends like you.  You are awesome!!

Now on to some things that I'd like everyone to know about.

As you all know (or most of you anyway), I suffer from something called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.  It's not a very common thing and A LOT of times a person will have this and be misdiagnosed with it.  While it doesn't sound serious to a lot of people, it sure can be.  There are many different type of EDS.  One is elasticity of the joints.....that's the one I have.  Unfortunately it has been getting the best of me since I was 16.  However, I didn't know I had EDS until I was 23 years old.  I've been gracious enough to get 3 wonderful children while dealing with this and I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I will have another some day, but we aren't rushing this anytime soon. Mainly due to the fact that my health is declining.  It isn't HORRIBLE, but I'm fighting with my body lately and its starting to irritate the living crap out of me.
As you recall I broke my ankle in 2008.  I ended up in surgery for that because my bone didn't heal properly.  Thank you to EDS, this happens.  Your bones break easier and it takes A LONG time to heal.  Unfortunately I needed a little help getting the bone to heal and surgery was the result.  In 2009 I ended up having to have a hernia repair.  This hernia repair was not just due to the fact that I had 3 children in 3 years.  Matter of fact, if I didn't have EDS, it probably wouldn't have happened.  Anyway, I ended up having 4 hernias repairs because my EDS was "helping" my muscles tear away slowly.  Lucky me huh?  Again, I wouldn't trade the 3 beautiful children we have for anything.  Well worth it :-)
Here we are getting into 2010.  I've not had a horrible year, but it definitely hasn't been uneventful.  In January of this year I ended up having to have a knee surgery due to my patella dislocating and not tracking properly.  My surgery was about 2 hours long and I ended up receiving a donor hamstring over my knee holding my patella in place.  Healing process wasn't too difficult, but we did have a set back in March of 2010.  While I was getting ready to go out with some friends (hubby was going too), I somehow fell out of the shower (go ahead and chuckle, I laugh at myself too looking back on it) and ended up having to be taken to the hospital by ambulance.  Luckily my reconstruction work wasn't undone, but I did fracture my knee.  That wasn't fun, but all healed well and I was back to "walking normally" in a few short weeks.  I've never walked normal, hence the quotes.
Unfortunately I am STILL fighting issues with my right knee.  I've gone through LOTS of Physical Therapy, steroid injections (cortisone) and I've also had a Synvisc One shot (chicken fat, no lie).  None of the above have seemed to work and I feel like I'm back at square one.  Its bad when the doctor whose been practicing for MANY years has NO idea what is going on.  I go in on January 13th of 2011 to sign a surgical consent form for a diagnostic arthroscopy. This meaning something simple could be causing me problems and it may lead to something major.  Only time will tell.  I won't know the surgery date until after then. 
Now, off of MY issues.....this isn't all about me here.

Paul-
We've had the joy of having him home for about 2 weeks now.  They were laid off around the middle of the month because the temps are just too cold and it was getting to be about that time.  It's been awesome having him home and spending time with the kids.  I don't think the kids will know what to do when he goes back full time.  However, he does get to spend 5 days alone with the kids while I'm on a trip with some awesome people.  Anyway, he keeps busy helping out around the house and playing with the kids.  He's waiting for some "real" snow so that he can go outside and build a snowman with them.  We do have snow here, but its not enough to make a "real" snowman. LOL.
We aren't sure of course when he will return back to work, but I'm sure he's enjoying his time off.  I know I would be.

Hannah-
Hannah is now about halfway through her first year of schooling.  I can't believe she's in Preschool.  Time has gone by so quickly.  It's fun watching her grow and seeing how much she is learning.  On Tuesday they had a program and watching her sing and do things was absolutely adorable.  She's growing up so quickly. 
On Wednesday the 22nd we took Hannah into the ENT (same one that did Kaleb and Katelinn's ear tubes and adenoids) because she doesn't seem to be getting enough sleep, she snores REALLY loud when she's sleeping and her breath is just horrible.  I wanted some answers because I know if it were me I would be annoyed at not having enough sleep, I value it. LOL.  Anyway, we took her in and he looked at her.  He has a scale of 1-4 for tonsil size.  1 being they are small and not causing any problems and 4 being they are HUGE and must come out. Well, I don't know if you guessed it yet or not, but she is a 4!!  She has to have her tonsils out and he will also take out her adenoids.  This child has had colds, the flu, 1 bout of RSV that had her hospitalized for 10 hours and 1 ear infection in her life and she now needs this done.  I'm a little scared, but I know that she's in good hands with this doctor.  He's been awesome through all the times we have put Katelinn and Kaleb through it.  I'm just glad we are able to do this now and not when she's MUCH older.  I was 16 when mine came out, I don't suggest it.
Hannah will be going in on January 4th for her surgery, time is yet to be known.  We won't know the time until the day before.
Otherwise Hannah is doing great, writing her name, writing all sorts of things, learning to add, singing, and she's just a happy go lucky 5 year old.

Katelinn-
She definitely keeps us on our toes.  She likes to explore many things.  Whether it be coloring on a wall, painting her babies finger nails, drawing on herself or whatever else, she keeps us busy.  She loves to sing, dance and just color sometimes.  She starts going from the time she gets up and is bouncy until she finally crashes at night.  She is definitely very curious about many things.  She's always asking questions.  She loves to tell stories about her days.  Her most favorite thing is spending time with her Nana, Papa, Grandma Donna and Papa Shoes (Ervin and Uncle T as well).  She would much rather spend the time with them for a few days then be at home.  Sounds like someone else I know LOL.  Katelinn will start Preschool next Fall.

Kaleb-
Just a reminder, he is NOT our son, he is our KALEB.  We've been informed of this MANY times.  If we say "son, come here" he will look at us and say, "I not son, I'm Kaleb."  It is the most adorable thing ever.  If you ask him "Are you a big boy?"  He will look us straight in the eyes and shout "NO", "I'm Kaleb".  I don't tell people I have 2 sons and a daughter, I start telling them I have 2 daughters and a Kaleb LOL. 
Kaleb's into Cars, Blue's Clues and Toy Story.  He most recently got a Woody doll and a Buzz doll.  He doesn't go far without them at all.  He LOVES those darn things.  It's just so adorable. 
He's working on potty training. He will go one day where he wants to potty all the time and others he just doesn't care.  We aren't pushing it, but he does get rewarded when he does use the potty.  I hope he will train soon, less diapers in our household :-). 
Kaleb is a very busy boy.  He is definitely ALL boy.  He likes to jump onto things, in things and off things.  He also realized when we put our tree up this year that the ornaments came off and it was a good idea to throw them at the TV or the wall.  Yep, no longer own glass ornaments.  No biggie since they were cheap and not something that was passed down.  We have now bought shatterproof ornaments. 
He's enjoying having daddy home A LOT.  He's gotten quite a few days of quality daddy time when his sisters are gone to Nana and Papa's or something.  He does ask about 5 times a night where "Nanna" and "Tatin" are.  We explain and he's good with that answer. 
As you recall he had tubes put in a few weeks ago.  He is doing absolutely wonderful!  He's sleeping much better and ever since he had the recent set of tubes put in, he has been speaking A LOT clearer and putting more words in a sentence.  He definitely likes to tell stories of his own.  He also lets us know what characters names are when he sees them in the stores.  Adorable! 

I realize this is a VERY long blog, but I wanted to type this out before I forgot.  I haven't been keeping up with it like I wanted to.  When Paul is home from work, I don't get online much because we try to do things together as a family while we can.  Once he's back to work we won't be going much of anywhere as they will be back full throttle in the Spring, for sure.

I hope this finds all of my friends and family well during this holiday season.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!

No comments: