Friday, March 25, 2011

Knee Arthroscopy.........Yes, another surgery

So today at 8:50 a.m. I had another knee surgery.  This one was a simple one though.  Didn't require much.  I had to be there at 7 a.m. and they did do a nerve block so I am not in too much pain right now.  They actually got it right this time and it was a very quick and simple thing.  I was very impressed.

I was in and out in about 1.5 hours.  I came out of the anesthesia pretty good, but right now I've got a headache.  Yeah, go figure, I got all those pain meds and I have a headache.  I think it has something to do with the way they positioned my head and the tube.  My throat is a tad scratchy, but I will live...LOL.

Anyway, the results....I hope you are all ready for this because I quite simply am having some trouble swallowing it.

I am 27 years old.  I have been diagnosed with a SEVERE case of arthritis in my knee.  They grade arthritis on a 4 point grade scale.  4 being REALLY SEVERE and 1 being NOT SEVERE.  Well, the part that I've been having all the pain in is at a grade 3.  There is only 1 part in my knee that is on a grade score of 1.  Yep, 27 years old and only 1 freaking part that is at a 1. 
So, here's what I was told.  I can not do any long walking.  Therefore, even though I want to lose weight, I can't take a long walk (no more than 1/2 mile) because it will just cause me more pain.  I can't do any heavy lifting either because squatting will also make it worse.  I'm pretty much screwed.  I'm trying to stay positive, but I knew that this knee was more trouble than it was worth.  He said he didn't want to do any knee replacement until I was at least 50, but this particular knee doc won't be around when I'm 50...he's already like late 70's early 80's.
He wants me to do water therapy on a frequent basis and I can ride a bike, but I CAN NOT ride at an incline.  It has to be on a flat surface.  I don't have a problem with either of these except for the fact that I'm not going to go and do water therapy at PT 3 plus times a week at so much a pop and I'm also not going to go to a huge rec center and do it.  Therefore, I think its high time my landlord makes an exception and allows a pool....yep, that's right.  If he won't, I'll have to figure out where we can move so that we can have one.  It's going to be MUCH cheaper in the long run to have my own than to go to PT or to a rec center.

Anyway, there is a picture on my Facebook pictures of the drawing my doctor did of my knee. Everything you see in yellow is where my arthritis is.
I will follow what he wants me to do (as soon as I have money to buy a new bike LOL) and do my best, but I'm kind of heart broken. I'm 27 years old and I hear this stuff.  I want to enjoy life not be stuck doing nothing but sitting on my rump most of the day because I can't take long walks.  Oh, I also can't do any running, that's a BIG no no.  Every time my knee bends, more cartilage and stuff shreds off.  NOT GOOD by the way.  I barely have any now....*sigh*.

I'm sorry if this seems all over the place, but I'm still kinda loopy from all my meds and just not with it.  PLEASE ask me any questions if you want to.  I will answer them the best I can.

Thank you all for your prayers and positive thoughts for today.  They helped tremendously and I came out of surgery number 28 perfect!  Yes, you read that right unfortunately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and the reason you can't have a pool?