Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Bump To The Head.......

Sunday was a beautiful day here in Iowa.  Grass was green, sky was blue with not a cloud in sight, slight wind blowing, but not too much to make it chilly.  The kids were having an awesome time playing outside.  I stayed inside to rest up since it was Sunday and I wanted just one day to relax.  I went outside shortly after 3 to enjoy the weather with Paul and the kiddos.

I go outside and walk across the road to visit with our neighbors/friends.  All of a sudden while sitting there I hear a blood curdling scream and its coming from Kaleb.  All I saw was Paul with Kaleb on his lap and Kaleb screaming and putting his head into Paul's chest.  I didn't think much of it because kids fall down and get hurt and I'm sure Kaleb was tired by this point since it was 5 p.m.  I could still hear him crying to I got up and went over to see.  Sure enough, Kaleb had taken quite the tumble off the steps (2 steps from the bottom) and his head met the concrete.  The concrete sure isn't a very welcoming thing around here...or anywhere for that matter.  Kaleb had a bump about the size of an egg and has abrasions on the right side of his face.  His eye was starting to swell as well.
After trying to get him to get ice on it with no success I called the on call nurse and asked her what I should do.  I was hoping I could just watch him since he didn't lose consciousness and he wasn't vomiting.  However, they suggested I take him in so that they could make sure there wasn't something seriously wrong with his eye since it too was swelling and had abrasions on it.  Off to the ER we go.

We weren't there very long, since he had no blood in his ear and his pupils were round, equal and reactive they sent me home with a head injury sheet and sent us on our way.  They did say his eye would likely be swollen shut by Monday morning.  Fortunately this never happened!  All Kaleb has now are some abrasions on his face, but the bump is gone and he's doing well.  He's a tough little man!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=71808870&aid=2144315#!/photo.php?fbid=666206709969&set=a.619789375679.2144315.71808870&theater

That picture was taken not even 1 hour after his fall.  Can you see the bump?

No comments: