Wednesday, January 25, 2012

There's A First Time For Everything..........

Hannah's missed some school this year.  Mostly due to mild things like a fever, vomiting, trips with the family going out of town and what not. 

On Sunday I noticed Hannah wasn't feeling the greatest.  She looked like she hadn't slept in days.  She started out with some sniffles.  Poor girl was miserable.  We kept her home from Sunday School so that she wouldn't expose the other kids or my grandparents. 
Monday she had a little cough, but no fever, no sniffles so I sent her to school.  When I went to pick her up (Paul was home with the other two by this point) her teacher said that she had been coughing off and on all day.  So she agreed to let me get Hannah a bottle of water to bring to the classroom so she wouldn't have to keep getting up and down for the drinking fountain.
Yesterday morning my grandparents picked up Katelinn from Preschool and then headed here after that to get Kaleb so I could get the house clean without kids under my feet as we had a teacher coming to do her yearly home visit. 
Katelinn, Kaleb and my grandparents left our house about 11:45.  I get to picking up the living room and sweep the kitchen floor when my phone rings.  It's Hannah's teacher.  Hannah was coughing quite a bit, complaining of her head hurting and she said she just looked miserable.  After a little talk I decided it was best to go and pick her up from school.
Hannah has NEVER left school early due to illness.  Never in her life.  This is a first for us.  So about Noon I went and picked her up to which I was informed by the nurse that Hannah had a temp of 100.4.  Hannah's cough was getting worse too.  I brought her home, gave her Motrin and immediately called and asked my mom to stop at the store and pick up some cough syrup.
Usually I don't use cough syrup, but when my 6 year old is complaining her stomach hurts from coughing so much there's not much of a choice beyond using the syrup.  We have been using Delsym for Kids and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  Hannah was given a dose about 6:30 last night and was cough free until about 5 this morning.  Paul gave her another dose before he left for work and she's done ok all day, a little coughing here and there.
Sadly she is still complaining of her head hurting and if we don't stay on top of the Tylenol/Motrin her fever climbs right back up.  We are keeping a close eye on her and using breathing treatments if needed.  I just hope and pray the other 2 don't get it because I'm pretty sure I'm getting something again.  My throat is scratchy, my head feels like its in a vise grip and I am just pretty exhausted. 

Here's to hoping my little girl feels better soon!  She missed her field trip today and was pretty upset about that.  I felt sad when she started to cry "I'm going to miss my trip to Foster Woods today, you stupid cough!".  *sigh* Poor baby :-(

Anywho, I hope everyone else has a good week, Happy Hump Day and stay healthy!!

1 comment:

The Ford Family said...

Poor Hannah :(! It stinks to be sick and when you're in school even more so when you miss a field trip. Hope she gets well soon.